Blacmshithing and Scouting
New (2001) Scouting Merit Badge Includes Blacksmithing
1940's Boys Scouts
Blacksmithing Merit Badge
To obtain this Merit Badge, a Scout must:
- Make an open link of 3/8-inch stock.
- Forge a chain hook out of 3/4 x 1/2-inch soft steel, or 3/4-inch round iron.
- Make a bolt of 1/2-inch stock.
- Bend and weld three links and form them into a chain, these links to be fastened to the hook of Requirement 2 by a ring, and links and ring to be made out of 3/8-inch round iron.
- Make a straight cap weld of 1/4 x 1-inch stock.
- Make a cold chisel out of 5/8-inch hexagonal tool steel.
- Temper a rock drill.
- Explain how to harden-and temper a cold chisel.
- - - © 2000-2007
Comments to: Tom Essary -
- North Texas Blacksmiths Assoc. and ABANA